Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sawyer Learns Her Letters (and then eats them)




Each morning after breakfast, I attempt to teach Sawyer a letter of the alphabet. We start by gluing the letter to a piece of paper and coloring the letter. While gluing and coloring, we look at and touch the letter of the day (we have puzzle pieces, magnets, etc of all the letters). We talk about things that start with the letter of the day. We eat food that starts with the letter of the day. Madeline is my assistant teacher and is much more in tune with this whole process, having been through it very recently herself. Generally, the food is Sawyer's main focus. As you can see by the picture above, Sawyer could not care any less than she does about learning her letters. Ironically, she is munching on the letter "C" just like Cookie Monster. She can identify the letters only if bribed with sugary food.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! :) Whatever it takes to hook them... I had an entire bottom desk drawer filled with candy, snacks, etc when I taught. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good mommy-teacher you are! Geez. Now I feel like I need to go make up some great teaching activity for tomorrow. You are putting me to shame!

    ReplyDelete