Monday, May 11, 2009

On Toys and Imagination

I was so excited when we moved into our beautiful new home because of the playroom located directly adjacent to our kitchen. I am so fortunate to have this room where my kids can play while I go about my business in my home office (also known as the kitchen). Our playroom is packed with toys, puzzles, books, a play kitchen, art supplies, barbies, dolls, stuffed animals and more. You name it, we have it. Our playroom is so packed that I frequently reduce our inventory by taking things to the basement or to Goodwill. The fact is, I should pretty much reduce our inventory to a very small list of select items because my kids barely play with any of their toys. They prefer items that are not necessarily found at Toys R Us, and so I am currently compiling a list of items my children will receive from Santa Claus next Christmas. The following items provide more hours of enjoyment to my kids than any blinking, singing, peeing doll or over-priced video game system:
  1. Umbrellas
  2. Flashlights
  3. Shovels
  4. Dirt
  5. Water/hose/lawn sprinkler
  6. Buckets
  7. My old clothes/shoes
  8. Cardboard boxes of various sizes
  9. Sleeping bags
  10. Sticks
  11. Mouthwash
  12. Toothbrushes
  13. Any travel size product
  14. Squirt bottles
  15. Magnets
  16. Brooms
  17. Mops
  18. The apples that fall from the trees in our backyard
  19. Rope
  20. Time with Mom and Dad

I am so thankful and proud of my children's imaginations. They have various scenarios and scripts that they play out on a daily basis. They often invent new themes and story lines, and I love to listen to them "act out" their dreams and realities through their play. They often mimic our family life and I love to see them play Mom or Dad and treat eachother respectfully and lovingly. Of course, they have also "played" Mommy when she was having a bad day. That is when I learn from their play; when their job impacts mine, and I become a bit more aware of my actions.

1 comment:

  1. Cute list! Don't forget "baby pool filled with a balls that get all over my house." Haha!

    Gabby would add to that list: fake food potato chips, cell phones, chap stick, ANY sort of figurine, VHS tapes (they are SO fun to take in and out of their cases apparently), make-up brushes, and tissues (they make great blankets for tiny dolls, you know!).

    ReplyDelete