Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Mini and Me


Several months ago, I decided that the only way that I was going to get out of this house without at least one child (must take one if you leave, DeWitt house rules) was to take up a hobby/extracurricular activity that COULD NOT involve children. So, I decided that I would start running. At the time, I had about five pounds to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight and I figured I could make use of running in two ways: get out of the house sans children and tone up a bit. I fell in love with running the very first day. I have been continually shocked by the profound affect it has had on me; both mentally and physically. My mind is sharper, I sleep better, my digestion has improved, I am more patient and energetic. I feel good.

After a couple weeks of this new regimen, I mentioned that I had begun running to my friend Amy, also a runner. She invited me to join her for a run and we have been getting together regularly for runs ever since. She started training for the Mini-Marathon in February and I joined her for some of her shorter runs. One week before the Mini, she asked if I would like to run by assuming the identity of a 38-year old man named Tom Bailey, a friend of hers who had injured himself and could therefore not run. Having only run a maximum of eight miles, I was a bit nervous. But, why not? Again, this would involve several hours of Katie time and I would walk if I had to.

After various minor obstacles, Amy and I completed the Mini yesterday in 2:26. This was Amy's 5th half-marathon and of course, my first. We ran the whole time. It was such an invigorating experience. I'm ready for the next half-marathon....as soon as my legs stop aching.

3 comments:

  1. YAY! good for you... working out for me is such a stress reliever too! I only wish I was a runner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, woman!! I am so proud of you. :) I come from a family of runners but actually despise it myself. I wish I liked it!

    ReplyDelete