Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother's Day- The Unorthodox Edition




Mother's day 2011 has come and gone, and the memories are pure joy and splendor. Before you start thinking that I'm going to recount moments of pleasure in seeing my children's handmade cards, or the excitement of opening my new Kate Spade purse, let me be clear on how I spent mother's day this year: I was able to complete a project, from beginning to end without interruptions of any kind. Yes folks, I mulched my front and side yards. They look awesome. Additionally, I spent time with my husband. The reason I was able to complete such tasks? My kids were not home. Nope. I didn't see them from 2pm Saturday until 6pm Sunday. And that was fine with me. A mother's day well spent.

I know some more traditional moms may be gasping in horror at my total lack of interest in spending mother's day with those who gave me the title to begin with. I don't care. Let's be honest- every day is mother's day at my house. I spend A LOT of time with my kids. I do not work outside the home. I feel their love every day. I can only hope that they feel mine. Dressing up and heading to the country club (or Cracker Barrel or Red Lobster) for Mother's Day brunch does not do it for me. I'll take some time to accomplish necessary tasks and talk to my husband. It is due to him that I have these wonderful offspring. Why not enjoy some time of reflection with him? (And mulch the yard, of course.)

And reflect we did. On a real date on Saturday night. In Indianapolis. With sushi. And wine. And immature behavior at Starbucks while eating dessert (aka coffee so that we wouldn't fall asleep on the drive home). We held hands. We texted while sitting at the same table, about the people around us. On Sunday, we ran a loop around Purdue together, followed by eating bagels in silence; all the while drinking coffee and reading USA Today at Einstein's. And later, what a pleasure it was to look at my freshly mulched yard from across the street, as I stood next to my husband and talked about future projects to spruce up the homestead. Of course, we'll have to see if the in-laws will watch the kids over Father's Day weekend if we really want to accomplish any of those plans.

1 comment:

  1. love, love, LOVE this. When asked what I did for Mother's Day, I replied "I cleaned out the storage room and then watched the first season of 24 with Barrett". Perfect day. <3

    You wouldn't HAPPEN to be thinking of going "home" for Thanksgiving this year, would you?

    ReplyDelete