Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The 7-Year Itch


As many of you know, I did not have a honeymoon. Well, I did but it included sleeping in a hotel in Southern Indiana and eating at Pizza Hut. It also included shopping at Target with our new wedding money for a humidifier because I was sick with an upper respiratory infection. It was ever so glamorous and I could not be more nostalgic when I think of the memories(is the sarcasm shining through?). Because of this non-honeymoon, I tend to think of any small getaway that I have with my husband as our honeymoon. We took one last winter in Dallas when Jason took his oral board exam and we took another a couple of weeks ago when Jason attended his annual Oral Surgery conference in Chicago. (a pattern is emerging) Of course, we rode on separate trains on different days to arrive at our destination and spent one of the nights in separate parts of the city; but who's counting?

My big concern when we have these precious "honeymoons" is that we will have nothing to talk about. This is not because I think that Jason and I have nothing in common. We do. We talk all the time and have a million laughs. Unfortunately, they are usually regarding our children or a show on TV and not due to actual conversation. There was a short period of time in the story of Jason and Katie where everything was super fun and our conversations were always interesting and in-depth. This period lasted 18 months from start to finish and was defined by the fact that we did not have children. That's it folks. 18 months and we had started a family. If you want to get technical, I was pregnant for 9 of those 18 months and vomited every day for said 9 months. As you can imagine, I was not a charming conversationalist during that time. What I am getting at is the fact that I was scared that when the children, the TV and our regular day-to-day life were stripped away, that we would be left- two people with nothing in common except an address and the manifestation of our combined DNA.

As you can imagine, I am writing this because my fears were completely unfounded and I am still truly in love with my husband. (at this point in writing, I flash to him as he is leaving the house and says, "I love you." To which I say, "I love you, too." His reply is always, "Seriously" and he keeps a super straight face. He thinks this interaction is hilarious and I still have no idea if he is quoting a movie or is just tickled by his own "joke") Spending time with him was rare treat and a gift. It is no secret that the 7-year itch has attempted to attack us with it's worst rash. During our trip we did not spend that much time alone. We met up with several friends and enjoyed their company as well. However on our last day in Chicago, we spent the day together; shivering through the streets of Chicago and taking in the normal tourist-y sights. We rode the Amtrak home in the same car, on the same day. Now, my concern is why I didn't miss my kids at all.....

PS- In the picture above, does it look like I am touching Jason on his pregnant belly?

1 comment:

  1. I understand it, but I don't agree that there truly are "real" versus "not real" conversations when it comes to long term relationships. It's the whole ambient intimacy thing. It's not just the specific content of the particular conversation being exchanged when a couple talks about TV or kids or whatever. There are a lot of intangibles being exchanged as well.

    ReplyDelete