Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Madeline the great


Today, I had a rant that ended in my disposing of all junk food from our house. My kids are hooked on junk food and would hold out on eating until they can somehow find a way to score something sweet. We have a lot of drama in this house becuase of junk food; crying, fits, tantrums, arguments. Sawyer cannot handle sugar and despite research in various studies that has debunked the relationship between sugar and hyperactivity....researcher: you have not met my child. She does not do well on sugar. Of couse, I take full responsibility for having allowed the crap in my home and into the bodies of my children. Well, I am done. I have purged my pantry and we are making junk food very much a "sometimes" thing. Recently, it has not been so. It is now a new chapter in the DeWitt home. The kids will eat when they get hungry. I don't like crappy food and often pass on it. Why would I allow my children to eat the stuff? Well, because it appeases them. Again....done.

As I tossed the last of the M&M's along with random Christmas and Halloween candy, Madeline headed to the refrigerator and started doing her own junk hunt. She brought me left over icing (3 containers...ouch) among other things. She deemed them junk and threw them in the garbage( as I cringed, they were recyclable but I didn't want to ruin the moment). She then opened the pantry to check my work. I was very thorough. When I served her her lunch of bagel with cream cheese and cut up apples, she stated, " I know that cinnamon sugar is junk, and I don't want to rot my teeth." That's my girl. After lunch, she headed back to the refrigerator, this time to check her health and nutrition chart (school project). That again, is my girl. Hopefully she will continue to be my partner as I battle the junk food war in this house. It will not be an easy battle to win.

1 comment:

  1. It's not so bad. Although Barrett will consume all of the junk food in the house in one sitting, he will ALSO polish off 2 oranges, a yogurt, and a glass of milk. If you can keep it out of the house...they'll adjust....just keep standin' that ground mama...

    ReplyDelete