Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sawyer Turns 4 (and is a ton of fun)


Yesterday, Sawyer turned 4. I wasn't sure this day would arrive. I have threatened, more times than I can count to return her to the hospital she came from. To trade her in for a less exhausting model. I think this frequent comment is the reason that Madeline is so adept at recognizing sarcasm. Originally, she would cry when I would say such things. Now she understands that sometimes Sawyer can be, um...spirited and we giggle about "returning" her.

Sawyer has not been our easiest child. Let's be honest. She has been for the majority of her time on the planet- our difficult child. She started crying when she exited the womb and did not stop. FOR 6 MONTHS. She had colic and reflux and a generally irritable disposition. At 6 months, she grew out of colic and spent the next 6 months being a good baby before she started the "terrible 12 months." Then she had the "terrible 18 months", followed by the "terrible two's" and the "terrible two and a half's". And then the "terrible 3's." You get the picture. Sawyer is spirited. She requires a different set of parenting strategies and a more hands-on approach. She is not Madeline and that took a while to understand. Nonetheless, for the past several months, Sawyer has been a true delight. She is energetic, imaginative, bright and friendly. She plays well with others. She loves her Mama like crazy and she is just plain fun to be around. She has entered a phase where it has all come together for her. She can express her feelings and even deal with her emotions on a level that I did not think possible. She can relate to kids younger and older than herself. She can charm the pants off people. She has charisma. It just took a while for her (and her parents) to figure out where and how she could flourish.

Having said all of this, I want to take some responsibility for Sawyer's spiritedness. I think Jason and I have just gotten to the point where we really understand what Sawyer needs. She has taught us to slow down, listen up and actively participate. She is in no way a black and white kid. She is all shades of gray. Parenting Sawyer has taken me to places, both good and bad that I did not know existed. Luckily, I feel like I have come out the other side with a better understanding of Sawyer and of myself. She is a fascinating little girl and I am so lucky to have had the chance to be her Mama.

Recently at a friend's house, we met a family who we had not come into contact with previously. This lovely friend has a pool and our kids were swimming together. The mother in this previously unknown family commented about Sawyer, saying, "She's a go getter. I bet there's never a dull moment." This woman pegged my little girl. Her next remark was, "It will be interesting to see who she becomes." I agree. I'm watching. I can't wait. I love you so much Sawyer. You have truly made my life a better, stronger place to be and I am so grateful for your presence.

3 comments:

  1. You requested that I should comment if I read your post. Here you go. Comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it too! Happy birthday, Sawyer! This description reminds me a great deal of Rosie. She has always been our difficult one. Isabel has been easier every step of the way. I think I'll adopt the term "spirited" instead of difficult. I like the ring of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can still remember when you were pregnant with her... we were trying to guess what baby dewitt's name would be. the only hint you gave us was 'it rhymes with lawyer.'

    it's a great reminder that the things that are the most challenging are almost always the things in which we learn the most about ourselves. love it :)

    ReplyDelete