Friday, April 9, 2010

How I Know I'm Getting Old


In less than two weeks, I will be turning 35. Please do not assume that I am writing this post in order to garner birthday wishes. Facebook will take care of that. I am writing because, as I approach 35 I can see myself turning into another old fogey who does ridiculous things like enjoy shopping for furniture or driving around fancy neighborhoods to get ideas for landscaping (both activities that my parents enjoyed.) I know that my kids find my interests to be a little "weird" and I am starting to realize that they view me in much the same way that I used to view my parents when I could not believe anyone could every be so boring or be interested in or excited by the most mundane of things. Here is a quick list of the evidence surrounding my "oldness":

1. On weekend nights, I stay away from alcohol.
2. I have wrinkles.
3. I have tons of gray hair.
4. I have known someone who was a grandmother at my very age.
5. Famous actors and singers were born when I was in high school.
6. I'm interested in genealogy.
7. I think about options for retirement.
8. I eat oatmeal for breakfast nearly every day (fiber is an important nutrient in the diet.)
9. I check the Dow/Jones daily.
10. I prefer household tasks over napping.
11. Napping seems like a waste of precious time.
12. The 70's and 80's are portrayed today in much the same way as the 50's and 60's were when I was young. The 80's are now retro and the 70's are ancient history.
13. I am married to someone who frequently uses the term "tool around" when talking about fun activities, for example looking at fancy landscaping and furniture shopping.
14. My parents have an RV and think they could live in it some day.
15. I eat foods specifically because I think they will prolong my life and ward off disease during the rest of it.
16. I have been out of undergrad for nearly 13 years.
17. I have been out of graduate school for 8 years.
18. I have been out of high school for 17 years.
19. I have been a legal adult for nearly half of my life.
20. I started high school over 20 years ago.
21. I have a child in elementary school and I am the room mom.
22. If I became pregnant today, I would be considered to be of Advanced Maternal Age.
23. I think I will make an awesome grandma.
24. My 6-year old rolls her eyes when I make jokes.
25. I realize that my life is finite and I have a makeshift "bucket list" that includes quilting, knitting and marathon running.

Having shared my "oldness" list, I have to also share that I would not change a thing about my age. (I would change some of the things age has done to my body if given the financing) When I was just a young mental health worker, straight out of undergrad, I was talking to the unit coordinator in the hospital that I worked in. She had recently turned 32 and was singing the praises of being in one's 30's. She felt that I had something to look forward to. At the time, I was 23 and I was looking forward to heading to the bar with my work buddy in a few hours (you rock, Kristen Barnett.) Nonetheless, she had given me something to look forward to. She felt the 30's were a more peaceful and confident place. A phase of life that was on your own terms, complete with improved confidence and a sense of direction. I fully agree. Honestly, 35 feels pretty good to me. It sure beats the heck out of middle school (23 years ago.)

No comments:

Post a Comment