Monday, March 29, 2010

A New Conversation

I hope that this blog can be a vehicle for many things including laughter, a connection to others and a place to start conversations that are not always easy to engage in the day to day. Several posts ago, I gave an account of my experience in caring for Madda when she was a newborn. I mentioned my bout with Postpartum Depression and I would like to expand on that topic. At the risk of appearing to be a "Debbie Downer", this is a conversation that I would like to start and a serious issue that I would like to explore. The statistics on depression in women are staggering and the tiny bit of internet research that I have done does not paint a pretty picture.

According to medtv.com, it appears that 1 in 4 women will suffer from serious depression in her lifetime. This statistic is confusing to me because the same web site asserts that only 1 in 5 women actually seek treatment for their symptoms. Because only 1 in 5 is seeking treatment, does that mean that statistics related to depression in women are grossly underestimating the prevalence of such a disabling condition? Of course, the statistics obtained from sites like medtv.com, webmd.com and about.com are not always to be trusted. Nonetheless, I am certain that rates of depression among women are higher than any of us would like to see. Depression is often an incredibly lonely and isolating place. It is a source of shame and often seen as a weakness. Nonetheless, depression takes many forms and can occur in various phases of life, ignited by both external and internal functioning. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) calls depression various different names: Bipolar, Major Depression, Dysthymia, Postpartum Depression. Depression can manifest itself in many forms and women (or men) can experience anxiety, psychosis, hopelessness, intrusive thinking, anhedonia (the inability to experience pleasure), fatigue, loss of appetite, crying, withdrawal; The list goes on and on and on. Despite being so common, people shy away from discussing the symptoms, treatment and experience of depression because of shame and embarrassment. American society is not always easy on those who are seen as "weak." Although the commercials play on TV for various medications used to treat depression, we don't talk about it much outside of our Doctor's office or the occasional support group. Often the closest friends of those afflicted have no idea of the internal struggle going on. It is no surprise to me the depression is so common. Our society is a rat race. We feel compelled to measure up to scrutiny that is beyond that of mortal (wo)man. We are constantly reminded that we are not good enough by the media and the flood of images and ideas placed in our conscious and unconscious minds. Women, whether they are mothers, singles, marrieds, black, white or otherwise expect so much out of themselves. We experience guilt over so many things. We are emotional and hormonal and stressed. We often feel isolated and lonely. We are the perfect storm for depression.

I have experienced depression both personally as previously blogged and professionally in my former life as a therapist. It is a crippling and scary disease of the human body and mind. I am fearful for my daughters and their statistical and genetic vulnerability to this illness. I hope that the safe home and thoughtful parenting that Jason and I provide will be their first defense against depression. The next million defense strategies are already in the works. What are your thoughts on this issue?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie, I have wanted to post a coherent and half-educated comment to your very important post, but I have yet to find a sane few moments to myself. I have been taking medication for my depression/anxiety for almost ten years now, and I am finally getting to a place where I can find some peace and balance. I have to say that my biggest saving grace was/is my husband, and without him I am fearful of where I would be today. Depression is more common than one would think, yet no one wants to talk about it, and by definition of the disease, talking is one of the main "remedies!" It took me a long, long time to accept that my body needs medication to regulate my system, much like a diabetic needs insulin. There is no shame in discussing this crippling disease--only hope--so thank you for shedding light on a dark subject!

    ReplyDelete