Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Summons....


I feel like a pretty lucky lady and I am thankful every day for the life I have been given. My husband, when I start to spout off my feelings of gratitude, is forever reminding me that our luck in life is not an abstract, untangible thing but an accumulation of good choices and endeavors throughout the years. I believe that he is correct. It would be impossible to make a list, accounting for all of those good choices and endeavors however, I am aware of a few of them in the forefront of my mind. Many of them are unknown to me or to Jason, but I believe that we must have done something right as our lives are pretty rewarding. When I look at the top of my list of gratitude, I am thankful that I get to stay home with my children. Wow. It is such a gift.

In reality, as much as I believe in the choice I have made to stay at home with them, I still think about what I might do as they grow and are more independent. The older I get, the more I realize the importance of having various "meaningful roles" in our lives. As my kids individuate, I am going to need to refocus my caretaking efforts into something else; caretaking or otherwise. Yesterday, a wonderful woman that I went to high school with posted the quote below from what appears to be an anthology of spiritual meditations and prayers from the around the world. So far, my research has turned up only a vague understanding of the source "Terma Collective" . When I read this, it hit me so hard that I had to pause in the midst of getting children ready for whatever activity they were slated for, and reflect. I wonder how many other moms out there are listening for their "calling." I hope you enjoy this like I did:

What In Your Life Is Calling You?

What in your life is calling you?

When all the noise is silenced,

the meetings adjourned,

the lists laid aside,

and the wild iris blooms by itself in the dark forest,

what still pulls at your soul?


In the silence between your heartbeats

hides a summons.

Do you hear it?

Name it, if you must,

or leave it forever nameless,

but why pretend it is not there?

Terma Collective

No comments:

Post a Comment